WIRIS Equation Editor
What is WIRIS?
WIRIS is a top-notch equation editor that WCLN has used to:
- build questions within math/science courses on the WCLN site. This requires WCLN to have a license for the main WCLN site, but your district doesn't need anything for this (see settings below).
- allow your students to "easily" show their work (calculations) online, rather then having them scan their work for any long answer questions. Showing Math/Science work can be challenging on a computer and WIRIS makes this easier for your students. If you wish to use this feature for your students, then your district needs a local WIRIS license (See http://www.wiris.com/en).
WCLN Member Licensing:
- 200 math students + 5 teachers: $ 200 USD
- 500 math students + 12 teachers: $ 468 USD
- 1,000 math students + 25 teachers: $ 800 USD
- 2,000 math students + 50 teachers: $ 1,410 USD
If the ratio teacher/student is higher than 1/40, the prices change. For example:
- 200 math students + 10 teachers: $ 400 USD
- 500 math students + 25 teachers: $ 800 USD
- 1,000 math students + 50 teachers: $ 1,410 USD
- 2,000 math students + 100 teachers: $ 2,530 USD
Also be aware that if you want a global license for MathType for MS Word & Google Docs in addition to their Moodle, they can get it with a small additional surcharge on these prices.
For the communications, please address your SDs to firstname.lastname@example.org .
WCLN Member Support Notes - Member Sites:
- All members need Item #1 (ie. you need to be able to see all math/science database questions). To ensure this is good-to-go on your site, install the plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_wiris This is FREE and doesn't require any licensing.
- If your local staff and/or students will want to build equations using WIRIS (a great option if your budget allows it), then you will also install the WIRIS editors and contact WIRIS/MathType for licensing.
Summary: EVERYONE should install the filter plugin. Those who want to pay for equation editing should also install the editors and get licenses.