What is LTI?
LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) is an education technology specification developed by the IMS Global Learning Consortium.
It allows an LMS (such as Moodle, Canvas, or D2L) to securely receive course content and tools from an external server.
Why does WCLN use LTI?
- Courses are more up-to-date and students benefit immediately with new games, projects, videos, etc...
- If one teacher reports an error, everybody benefits (as a consortium should).
- Although reporting errors takes time, the individual effort to keep courses current is reduced.
- Teacher ideas for improvement find their way to the Discussion Forum for conversation (Pro-D interactions).
For WCLN's 2023 Course Release:
- The WCLN material will be moved onto the SF LTI system.
- Teachers will have more customization options (in both the lessons and the question bank).
- Maintenance of lessons and questions also will be more efficient.
- Updates won't need to happen as often.
- All the problems with the D2L question bank import will be resolved.
- A greater variety of question types will start to be available (some very cool ones).
The maintenance of courses will shift focus to the new system this summer, but we'll keep the old LTI system running until summer of 2024 to accommodate everyone who can't update right sooner.
As we move to the SF LTI, many things in our courses will look the same but layout will be a tad different and we'll get used to new terminology.
|WCLN LTI System||SF LTI System|