How to: Add Discussions to your Course?
If you are in a scheduled (classroom or blended) setting, you'll find that discussion forums are fantastic ways to get students "talking."
Classroom teachers are often surprised by how comfortable students are within a discussion forum, not realizing how natural this form of communication to digital natives.
Quiet students (who often avoid class discussions) will start to thoughtfully express themselves in a forum settings. Extreme extroverts no longer dominate the conversations.
Adding a Discussion Forum
- Turn editing on
- Go to the unit where you wish to put the Discussion Forum
- At the bottom of the unit, click "+ Add an activity or resource"
- Under "Activities," click "Forum" > Add
- Forum Name = "What's a question that can create some good discussion?"
- Description = "This is your chance to start the conversation. Provide some context and triggers."
- There are various ways built-into Moodle to assess forums, but most teachers who have experimented with them decide to just give an overall "Forum Participation" mark at the end of your course.