What is Moodle?
WCLN has choosen Moodle as it's standard learning management system for development and release.
Thus, all WCLN resource development, plugins, and Student Management System is based on Moodle.
- Moodle has great flexibity for various teaching styles.
- Moodle is easy to learn for teachers.
- We aren't dependent on any particular host.
- Open source allows us to modify the LMS to suit our needs.
- Open source allows members to adapt to other LMS's more easily.
- It can be hosted locally to remove any legal concerns with student data.
- There is NO license fee for Moodle!
The video below provides a general overview of Moodle.
|Open Source Software|
|One of the most important aspects of Moodle for teachers is that it is an open-source product. Teachers worry about spending a large amount of their precious time developing resources in a commercial product, as a change in licensing and/or ownership has the potential to leave them stranded. This is not the case with an open-source product like Moodle. Even if something crazy happened to Moodle developers, you can always use existing code.