WIRIS to MathML Conversion
Preparing Courses for Release
WCLN developers use WIRIS to build equations into many Math and Science courses (in both lessons and exams). When we save a WIRIS equation, it doesn't save as a perfectly clean "MathML." Thus, members using these courses would find themselves needing to license WIRIS to see these equations. Certainly, some members will wish to license WIRIS to allow their students and/or teachers to use the editor, but some may just want to see the equations and not purchase a license.
WIRIS promises that they are working on this (their equations automatically converting to clean MathML), but (in the mean time) we've built a script that converts every WIRIS equation in a course into clean MathML. We run this script on all of our Math/Science courses prior to release so members can see the equations using a free filter if they wish. See the partners areas for member options and set-up details.
Instructions for running the script:
- move .mbz file(s) into /course_backups_to_convert
- run script through browser.
- when it shows "done" all the files are in /converted
Old Developer notes:
- to ensure WIRIS-created equations are MathML, ensure you have the latest plugin version (www.wiris.com/moodle), allowing you to store WIRIS formulas as plain MathML in the database. To start storing formulas as plain MathML in your database you need to change wiriseditorsavemode variable in your plugin configuration.ini file and set its value to xml. You can see more details of the configuration.ini file at http://www.wiris.com/en/plugins/docs/resources/configuration-table
- if you have equations developed prior to your setting of the previous step, you can run a script to modify:
- wr_modified3.php (has some error feedback included)
- explained: http://www.wiris.com/en/plugins/docs/resources/encoding-attribute